Haimanti completed her MPhil. in English from Delhi University, India, before coming to the US and to Penn. She has been teaching Bengali at the University of Pennsylvania since 1995 and has occasionally taught Hindi and English as a Second Language. She received her M.S Ed. in language pedagogy and PA certification in Elementary Education from Penn's Graduate School of Education. She is an ACTFL certified tester in Bengali and has also worked as a reviewer of Bengali and Hindi learning materials used in the US and in immersion programs in target cultures.
On November 2003, Haimanti joined the South Asia Center at the University of Pennsylvania as its Outreach Coordinator.
- Taught ESL and Hindi, University of Pennsylvania
- Has been teaching Bengali at the University of Pennsylvania since 1995
- Has received the following grants and awards:
- Research Assistantship to work with Dr. Teresa Pica at Graduate School of Education for the duration of M.S. Ed. program
- Grant from Consortium for Language Teaching and LearningSchool of Arts and Sciences Staff Incentive Award: Silver
- International Research and Studies grant from US Department of Education for three year project to develop online Bengali learning materials
- M.Phil., English, Delhi University, India
- Ms.Ed., TESOL, University of Pennsylvania
- Elementary Education Teacher Certification, University of Pennsylvania
Haimanti’s interest lies in the field of Materials Development. Some of her work in this area includes developing online reading and listening comprehension lessons for Bengali Intermediate-Advanced learners; developing online Hindi reading comprehension lessons for the National Foreign Language Center; developing materials for Beginning and Intermediate Bengali students using authentic texts; and developing task-based syllabus for Intermediate level students.
- BENG 403-680 Elementary Bengali
- BENG 423-680 Intermediate Bengali